Friday 20 July 2012

Saltaire - Queen's visit to Pace

Firstly, I am not a royalist and the money spent this year for Her Majesty's Jubilee is estimated to be around 3 billions pounds.... that is obscene. So when I heard that she was to visit the Pace Corporation in Saltaire (the building next door to mine),  I decided to take a short walk to mingle and queue with the crowd (not that large) just to observe what actually happens and see all the pomp and ceremony that happens when the Queen visits, and maybe get a couple of photos, as photography is my main hobby at the moment.

The general talk of the crowd was about when and where they may have seen her before, how wonderful she is and how much they actually love the royals.  Made me wonder just how many of them actually know just how much her visit is hitting their own pockets. I thought of raising the question with a few around me, but after witnessing one incident of people being accused of "pushing in" in front of others, and some not so nice words being exchanged, I decided to keep my thoughts to myself...!

Her visit  was rather swift, arriving amidst police motobikes and security cars and she was quickly ushered from her car into the building without even a glance towards her "loyal followers", who had queued for hours to see her.  The party departed an hour and half later, once again she slipped into the car which was parked across the doorway, and driven away surrounded by her security entourage and managed a little wave here and there through the car window. 

Well, I have now satisfied my curiousity with the royal family and I'm afraid I am not impressed; standing on the cobbles for 5 hours just to catch a glimpse of the wealthiest woman in the world, who is not really interested in acknowledging her "people", is not my idea of fun.

See photos below that I managed to catch quickly as it all happened.


Awaiting her arrival
 

Last minute preparations
 

At last, she is here

Not too impressed, it seems that the Queen did not want to mingle

Wonder what she was looking at here ?

Back in the car, on her way back to Leeds/Bradford Airpot

No comments:

Post a Comment